Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 4 large flat or Portabella mushrooms
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbs milk
- 40g butter
- 4 thick slices wholegrain bread
- Thyme sprigs
- Preheat oven to 240°C or 220°C fan forced. Place mushrooms, stem side-down, in a greased roasting pan. Combine oil and maple syrup in a bowl. Brush mixture over both sides of mushrooms. Roast 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Beat eggs and milk together in a shallow dish. Melt half the butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Dip two slices bread into the egg mixture, allowing any excess to drain off. Cook 1-2 minutes each side until golden. Keep warm in oven while you cook remaining French toast.
- Place 1 mushroom on top of each French toast, top with thyme and serve, drizzle with a little extra maple syrup if desired.