Go hot or cold with bananas – in fritters with the classic matches of caramel and coconut, or, for the easiest ice-cream you’ll ever make, peel them, insert an iceblock stick, dip in chocolate and freeze.
- 300g (2 cups) self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 500ml (2 cups) soda water
- 85g (1 cup) desiccated coconut
- Plain flour, to coat
- 750ml (3 cups) peanut oil
- 3 large bananas, peeled, thickly sliced
- Pure icing sugar, to dust
- Vanilla ice-cream, to serve
- Sift the self-raising flour and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl. Whisk in soda water until smooth.
- Spread coconut and plain flour over separate plates.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat to 180ºC. Roll 3 pieces of banana in flour and shake off excess. Dip in batter, then roll in coconut to coat. Carefully add to the oil. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat, in 3 more batches, with remaining banana, flour, batter and coconut.
- Dust the fritters with icing sugar. Serve with vanilla ice-cream.