Serves: 4 as main
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 1/4 cup dark soy sauce
- 2 tbs mirin
- 1 tbs finely grated ginger
- 2 tbs caster sugar
- Pinch ground white pepper
- 2 tbs sake or sweet sherry (optional)
- 500g chicken thigh fillets, trimmed, cut into pieces
- 400g button mushrooms
- 1 bunch green onions, cut into 3cm lengths
- Sesame cabbage salad & steamed rice, to serve
- Combine the soy sauce, mirin, ginger, sugar, pepper and sake in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Simmer for 3-5 minutes until marinade thickens slightly. Set aside to cool.
- Place the chicken and mushrooms into separate bowls then pour 2 tbs of the soy marinade over the chicken and the remaining over mushrooms, stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or longer if time permits.
- Drain the chicken, discarding the marinade. Thread the chicken, mushrooms and green onions onto skewers.
- Preheat a barbecue grill or plate on medium heat. Cook the skewers, turning and basting occasionally with marinade from mushrooms for 12-15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with cabbage salad and/or rice.