Serves: makes 4 – 5
Cook time: 1 hour 20 min
Preparation time: 30 min
- 500g Large Blush Truss Tomatoes
- 100g whole grain rice
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small zucchinis, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons shredded mint leaves
- 2 oregano sprigs, leaves chopped
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees.
- Cook rice as per packet instructions.
- Chop the tops off the tomatoes, then use a teaspoon to scoop out the insides (set aside for later use). Make sure the shells are intact. Arrange the shells in a medium baking tray and place them close together.
- Place the onions in a pan and fry with 2 tbsp olive oil over a medium heat, stirring until browned. Add the zucchini, turn the heat up and cook until softened.
- Add the garlic and tomato puree, cook for a minute then stir in the rice and tomato insides removed earlier. Simmer, stirring often until the mixture has a loose risotto consistency. Remove from the heat and stir in the herbs.
- Scoop the rice mixture into the tomato shells, filling them to the top. Replace the tomato tops and drizzle the remaining olive oil and bake in the oven for 1 hour.
- Take them out once they are tender and the rice is cooked through.
- Serve the stuffed tomatoes with a fresh green salad.